Skip to main content

Discipleship? But He's Only Eight Months Old.


(Click to read entire article.)
How do you disciple your son when he’s just a baby? I’ve asked myself this question so many times in the last eight months. I’ve struggled to see my role in this whole parenting thing, really. Honestly, a mother’s role is very defined, especially in Sir Charles’ case. My wife is nursing him and supplementing with pureed fruits and veggies (which aren’t half bad, by the way). She stays at home with him, plays with him, dresses, feeds him, reads to him, teaches him colors, shapes…you get the picture. There are things that she does that I don’t have the privilege of doing. Right now, her role is clearly defined (by her choice, just so we’re clear). My role, however, not so much.
I know that my time will come when I can teach him things like grace, forgiveness, unconditional love and acceptance the same way that my dad taught me. A lot of those lessons will come through just being present and intentional with my actions and words. I will have to model the desired behavior I hope to see in his life. How will I act when things don’t go my way? How will I respond when someone cuts me off in traffic? How will I carry myself around women who aren’t my wife? How will I talk when I’m around other men? How I voice my opinion at a sporting event? What will I do when the cashier gives me too much change? Sir Charles will observe all of this one day. But until then, what do I do to guide my son to become more like Christ?
After much thought and reflection, here is what I came up with. Now, just being honest here, I have in no way mastered these. I’m in the middle of sanctification myself and there are a lot of rough edges that still need smoothing. But this list is a goal for me.
  • Love his mother- One of the first things he will see is how I treat his mommy. We try not to argue in his presence. It’s fine to disagree with each other while he’s around, that’s part of letting him see how to interact appropriately and respectfully, but when tempers rise; it’s time to use discretion and have those talks without him in the room.
  • Be present- I’m not just talking about coming home at night—which should go unsaid. I mean when you’re with him, be present as well. He’s only eight months old, but he already knows that the little black thing in my hand that lights up is interesting. If I’m looking at it, he wants it. I have to intentionally be present in the room and not on my phone or tablet so that he will know he is more important to me than that little black thing.
  • Keep your composure- When Sir Charles is crying, the smoke alarm is going off, Roscoe is barking because some genius delivery person rang the doorbell, and Sarah is away on a much-needed jog, I have to keep my composure. (Real life scenario, by the way). You have to keep a level head and not flip out. Because as soon as you lose your composure, you will either do or say something you can’t get back. The best way to do this, is to stay prayed up and in God’s word. And I’d also take Daniel Tiger’s advice and “take a deep breath and count to four.”
  • Create a safe environment- This is one that dads I’ve talked to really seem to get on board with. We tend to like fixing things. However, a safe environment doesn’t just mean spraying for bugs and childproofing the doors. This role extends to the boundaries you set for your family. Sometimes you have to say “no” to things. That’s just part of it. It’s your job, dads, to clearly define the number of and type of visitors that come in your home. That includes parents and in-laws. If it’s not in your household’s best interest to have guests, it’s your job to say so—especially with your own parents. They will understand, they’ve been parents to little ones before. They may not like it as grandparents, but they’ll understand eventually.
  • Play- playing with your son helps you bond with him early. I love seeing Sir Charles giggle when I read “Peek-a-boo Forest” to him. Even after the bazillionth time, he still gets surprised to see the moose hiding behind the spruce. These times build trust and a bond that will pay off down the road. Even if it seems pointless that you can recite Dr. Seuss books, it will pay off later…or so I’ve been told.


What are some ways you are discipling your child? I’d love to hear your story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Devotional Book for Men

On Father's Day, 2019, Andy Blanks and I launched the second book in the "How to be a Man" line of devotional books from Iron Hill Press entitled, "How to be a Man: Learning from Real Men of the Bible." This book focuses on eight real men in the bible who knew what it took to be a man of God. This is a 40-day devotional that allows you to spend five days on each man we chose to explore in scripture.  I recently led a group of 20 men through this book in a small group setting and it was incredible. The way God is using this book in so many ways is special. I hope that you will get a copy for yourself, but, just like the Christian life, it is better experienced in community.  To purchase your copy(s), visit the  Iron Hill Press website . The adult version of this book is best for men ages 19 and older. The student version is best for young men ages 10 to 18.

The big book reveal!

Well here is the big surprise! A little less than a year ago I was browsing a friend's blog. Susan at Stony River , always posts open markets at the end of her blog. This Chicken Soup for the Soul was the one posted for that day. I checked it out and it sounded like something I could do. So, I blindly submitted my story to them in hopes of hearing something back. Well, months passed and I forgot about submitting it, until I received an e-mail saying that I had made the first cut. The editor said there were around 4,000 submissions and they cut it down to about 200. Then about a month later they cut it to 120 and there was one more cut to make it to 101. I found out at the first of the year that I was selected to be in the book. Since the book wouldn't come out until April, I had to keep it a secret from my dad. I wanted to give it to him for his birthday, which is also in April. I only told a handful of people about it and they were sworn to secrecy. Wednesday, I

50 Things Every Son Needs to Hear from His Dad

       I heard a lot of things growing up from a lot of people: my mom, sister, teachers, ministers, friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, coaches, teammates, and opponents. Each one would tell me different things in their own way. My mom would lovingly tell me not to do something and when I wouldn't listen, the switches came out. (Then I listened.) My teachers would threaten me with detention or sitting out in the hall...I was scared to death of detention. My coaches would yell and growl...somewhere between the tobacco spit and sweat, I learned how to play. My ministers would speak the truth of God's word...either from the pulpit or one on one. My sister, aunts, uncles, and cousins would praise me for whatever...since I was one of the only boys in the family. Teammates gave me "attaboys" and opponents made threats. Much of what they told me went in one ear and out the other.        However, there was one person who's voice I desired most to hear. My dad