Skip to main content

The big book reveal!


Well here is the big surprise! A little less than a year ago I was browsing a friend's blog. Susan at Stony River, always posts open markets at the end of her blog. This Chicken Soup for the Soul was the one posted for that day. I checked it out and it sounded like something I could do. So, I blindly submitted my story to them in hopes of hearing something back. Well, months passed and I forgot about submitting it, until I received an e-mail saying that I had made the first cut. The editor said there were around 4,000 submissions and they cut it down to about 200. Then about a month later they cut it to 120 and there was one more cut to make it to 101. I found out at the first of the year that I was selected to be in the book. Since the book wouldn't come out until April, I had to keep it a secret from my dad. I wanted to give it to him for his birthday, which is also in April. I only told a handful of people about it and they were sworn to secrecy.

Wednesday, I helped my uncle-in-law, Jackie with a photo shoot for a dance studio in Alabama and decided to drive home afterwards to surprise my dad with the book. When I handed it to him I said, "I thought about you and had to get this for you. That first story reminds me of you." He didn't know that the first story was about him. He opened it and was pretty much speechless. It was a neat moment for mom, dad, and me. I received payment up front and will not receive any royalties but, I hope all of you will buy a copy anyway! You can find one here on Amazon. They will make great Father's Day gifts. Be sure to read the first story (FYI: that's mine). Thanks for your support.

Comments

  1. Wow, Bryan - that is amazing! What a beautiful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Hebrew study partner making it in the real world of live fire action! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow -- OH WOW!!
    Out of 4,000 entries, that's just astronomical competition, CONGRATULATIONS! Your story (and how you told it) must be amazing; I can't wait to get a copy and check it out. Thanks for the link!

    Well now I know what I'm posting about tomorrow LOL. First I have to go now, and jump and down screaming with excitement for a while!

    I hope it's followed by much more success too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan sent me over and congratulations! Since you're a believer, you know there are NO coincidences in life. God gave you that talent for a reason. And what a blessing you were able to share with your dad! I can't wait to read it either. (Note to self. Stop at B&N tomorrow with only enough cash for one book. No credit card.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many congratulations...what a perfect Father's Day Gift...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Devotional Book for Men

On Father's Day, 2019, Andy Blanks and I launched the second book in the "How to be a Man" line of devotional books from Iron Hill Press entitled, "How to be a Man: Learning from Real Men of the Bible." This book focuses on eight real men in the bible who knew what it took to be a man of God. This is a 40-day devotional that allows you to spend five days on each man we chose to explore in scripture.  I recently led a group of 20 men through this book in a small group setting and it was incredible. The way God is using this book in so many ways is special. I hope that you will get a copy for yourself, but, just like the Christian life, it is better experienced in community.  To purchase your copy(s), visit the  Iron Hill Press website . The adult version of this book is best for men ages 19 and older. The student version is best for young men ages 10 to 18.

31 Verses Every Teenager should know: Character

Here is the latest 31 Verses devotional book I wrote for Student Life. It is 31 different stories about Old Testament characters that reveal one aspect of God's character. Each story includes a devotional and a set of reflective questions. Once it is released, it will be a great way for teenagers to learn more about God through Old Testament heroes. Expect it to be released this summer. I'll provide a link when it is available. When I got home Sunday from a trip to East Tennessee I had a lot of mail. It was like Christmas. I had a check from Chicken Soup for the Soul for my story, my new issue of The Writer magazine, and 10 complementary copies of this little baby--31 Verses Every Teenager Should Know: Character. It was so fun to get all that writing stuff at one time. Even though those trips to the mailbox are rare, it still made me feel like a real writer for a brief moment. Then I had to open the not-so-fun stuff, like bills and junk-mail.