Skip to main content

50 Things Every Son Needs to Hear from His Dad

       I heard a lot of things growing up from a lot of people: my mom, sister, teachers, ministers, friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, coaches, teammates, and opponents. Each one would tell me different things in their own way. My mom would lovingly tell me not to do something and when I wouldn't listen, the switches came out. (Then I listened.) My teachers would threaten me with detention or sitting out in the hall...I was scared to death of detention. My coaches would yell and growl...somewhere between the tobacco spit and sweat, I learned how to play. My ministers would speak the truth of God's word...either from the pulpit or one on one. My sister, aunts, uncles, and cousins would praise me for whatever...since I was one of the only boys in the family. Teammates gave me "attaboys" and opponents made threats. Much of what they told me went in one ear and out the other.
       However, there was one person who's voice I desired most to hear. My dad. My dad was very important to me growing up...and he still is. I'm going to visit mom and dad in a few weeks to go turkey hunting. I can't wait! Growing up, dad wasn't one to waste words. The things he said, he meant. And if it required action, he expected it to be completed by the time he got home from work. I heard a lot of things from my dad that are important. There are some boys who don't hear things from their dad for various reasons. Either the son never knew his "dad," the "dad" was not intentional with his words, or the father has passed away. I put the word "dad," in quotations because not every father is a dad. I heard one gruff football coach preaching one time say, "There are too many sperm donors out there and not enough dads." He made the distinction a little more vividly than I could. Even if your dad was not there, either physically or emotionally, you can use this list to help your son.
       Here is a list compiled from some men I know as well as from my life of what every boy needs to hear from his dad. This is in no particular order.
  1. I love you.
  2. I'm proud of you.
  3. I believe in you.
  4. Don't quit.
  5. Be kind.
  6. Trust in the Lord.
  7. Say your prayers.
  8. Read your Bible.
  9. Eat your veggies.
  10. Look both ways.
  11. Hold my hand.
  12. Follow me.
  13. I love your mother.
  14. I expect you to do your best.
  15. Respect others.
  16. I understand, I'm not perfect and neither are you.
  17. Learn from your mistakes.
  18. Walk it off.
  19. Guard your thoughts.
  20. Keep your composure
  21. Choose your words carefully.
  22. We care for those who can't care for themselves.
  23. Don't be lazy.
  24. Hustle.
  25. You are strong.
  26. You is kind.
  27. You is smart.
  28. You is important. (Sorry, I had to. It was just too easy.)
  29. Do what I say, when I say to do it.
  30. Stay focused.
  31. Be particular.
  32. Plan ahead.
  33. Love your sister.
  34. Obey your mother.
  35. You're the man of the house when I'm gone.
  36. It's ok, I still love you.
  37. Keep your head up.
  38. There is a time and place for everything.
  39. Respect yourself.
  40. Believe in yourself.
  41. What you did was wrong, I still love you, but there are consequences.
  42. I trust you.
  43. Take responsibility for your actions.
  44. Tell me about your day.
  45. Just because your friends are doing it, doesn't make it right.
  46. You represent this family, don't do anything disgrace its name.
  47. If you're ever in jail, call me and I will bail you out.
  48. If you've ever had too much to drink, call me and I'll pick you up.
  49. Respect the girls you date and don't scar them for the next guy.
  50. Be a godly man who loves Jesus.
       This list is in no way comprehensive. Perhaps there are some I left out. Feel free to comment and tell me what you heard or needed to hear from your dad.

Comments

  1. Love this brother!! Thank you for doing what you do. This list is great, and I love the simple, no-nonsense way you stated them, just like we men would put it! - Tommy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Devotional Book for Men

On Father's Day, 2019, Andy Blanks and I launched the second book in the "How to be a Man" line of devotional books from Iron Hill Press entitled, "How to be a Man: Learning from Real Men of the Bible." This book focuses on eight real men in the bible who knew what it took to be a man of God. This is a 40-day devotional that allows you to spend five days on each man we chose to explore in scripture.  I recently led a group of 20 men through this book in a small group setting and it was incredible. The way God is using this book in so many ways is special. I hope that you will get a copy for yourself, but, just like the Christian life, it is better experienced in community.  To purchase your copy(s), visit the  Iron Hill Press website . The adult version of this book is best for men ages 19 and older. The student version is best for young men ages 10 to 18.

The big book reveal!

Well here is the big surprise! A little less than a year ago I was browsing a friend's blog. Susan at Stony River , always posts open markets at the end of her blog. This Chicken Soup for the Soul was the one posted for that day. I checked it out and it sounded like something I could do. So, I blindly submitted my story to them in hopes of hearing something back. Well, months passed and I forgot about submitting it, until I received an e-mail saying that I had made the first cut. The editor said there were around 4,000 submissions and they cut it down to about 200. Then about a month later they cut it to 120 and there was one more cut to make it to 101. I found out at the first of the year that I was selected to be in the book. Since the book wouldn't come out until April, I had to keep it a secret from my dad. I wanted to give it to him for his birthday, which is also in April. I only told a handful of people about it and they were sworn to secrecy. Wednesday, I